Sunday, March 27, 2016

Marge. Sept 24, 1935- March 22, 2016

Alzheimer's won. It was a predictable outcome. There is no cure. The pain of my mom's death this week was overwhelming. With life comes loss and sorrow but man this is something I've never felt before. Her fall I wrote about in my last post did something to her: She never recovered. Never walked again. Never really spoke again. Just went downhill so fast her passing really took us all by surprise, including the care givers.

Watching her die over the last two weeks was brutal. It hurt so bad every time I saw her. Emotions ran deep; hurt, regret, remorse, anger, shock, pity, mercy. It ultimately had an outcome I didn't expect: I spiritual awakening and message from God that absolutely blew me away. Sure, in moments of extreme grieving we tend to turn to God and prayer. I did, many times. And I believe He answered my prayers and at the same time accomplished his mission: draw me closer.

So many things happened during her final days, the days leading up to the funeral, at the funeral and after her burial. ALL those events could take up many new posts. But needless to say, when you see your loved one suffer, die, and laying there in a casket, most people with any heart try to believe there is an afterlife. I chose heaven. I either had to believe she went back to a piece of dirt with no soul or her years of believing and helping the church she attended and her telling me not too long ago she believed in God and Jesus, were about to pay off.

The image I had as I laid in bed the moment before the phone rang with my sister telling me she just died was one of miracles: I saw her face and she said "Everything is ok now." Spirit and soul released from her decaying and now lifeless body. Taken to heaven to rejoice with God and other souls. For me, this was the path I chose and continue to embrace the past 6 days. I've been a believer of God. I've been wishy washy on Jesus. And I always hoped heaven is real and that one day I'd go there. Most people believe this.

I'm all in today, Easter 2016. Jesus Has Risen. My mom is in heaven. My story ends.

=================================
Eulogy I presented during her funeral-
Thanks everybody for coming today. It’s been a stressful couple of weeks for our family but we all came together and with the many prayers and words of encouragement from so many people we have arrived together to both mourn and now celebrate my mom’s life. Imagine the celebration right now going on in Heaven as she’s been made whole again and is with all the people who have passed through this world to eternal life.

Her Christian faith was renewed when she met my stepfather LeRoy and became active members at Christ the Servant Lutheran Church here in Waukesha, involved in Sunday school and she was an usher. and Joy Community Church in Arizona, choir, Sunday school teacher. She had true faith in God and Jesus Christ.

I did a bit of research on how Lutheran’s approach dying and funerals and put together the following biblical readings and prayers:

Romans 6:3-5

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection.
23rd Psalm
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. Amen

Revelation 21:1-7

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

APOSTLE’S CREED
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
Amen.


THE LORD’S PRAYER

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memories of Mom

My mom will be remembered for many things. And I can’t think of one that isn’t good. I can surely remember certain times way back when where certain people did certain things that didn’t quite meet my mom’s approval and that certain person usually was taught a lesson about how my mom viewed the world. Funny thing, mom’s are always right. She was a simple woman, uncomplicated, who enjoyed the basic pleasures of life, family, laughing and was pure in her thoughts. I’ve asked God to take away my rough edges and make me a smooth stone like my mom.

Let’s lighten things up a bit. Let’s celebrate and compare notes and memories....

Chocolate & Ice Cream
  • If you haven’t indulged in the chocolate treats, please do. Go slow. And savor the sweetness of life as it melts away into your body.
  • Custard at Kopps was always a viable alternative to any “real meal”. Because of the gene pool it’s rare I can go one day without some type of ice cream treat. My daughter Adrianne has the same gene passed down from her grandma.

Desert sunsets & Palm Trees
  • Maybe it was being born in California that drew her back to the Valley of the Sun, but Mom and LeRoy spent many years in Sun City Arizona. One of my best memories is when I went down there to pack her up and move back to Wisconsin. After a busy day, we went out on her patio and watched the sun go down. It was a beautiful hot desert night. The palm trees were quiet. We sat there for at least an hour or two talking about our lives. It was really a special time together.

Homemade waffles the old-fashioned way
  • Christmas morning was what I can remember when Mom would cook these up. She was old school---Bisquik, eggs, milk with Crisco.
  • While I didn’t use Bisquik, Adrianne and I just had homemade waffles the other day. The tradition lives on.

Mom’s special meat loaf, baked potato and corn
  • I remember having to run home from school to put the meatloaf dish in the oven she had made up in that morning. 350 for 1 hour.

Uncooked chocolate chip cookie dough- licked fresh off the beaters
  • Amazingly, my sister and I are still here and I can’t remember ever getting food poisoning. So much for food warnings!

Steamed broccoli with mayo
  • Not sure where this came from but we still eat it this way at home and Laura likes it.

Great tuna fish sandwich with diced pickles, mayo and yellow mustard
  • Does this need any more explanation?

Her bad back, days in the hospital with “traction” weights hooked up to her
  • The Estes Park trip in colorado that ended up with her in the ER when her back gave out.
P.s. Thanks again for the genes as both me and my sister have chronic back problems

She paid attention to the little details
  • Her house was always spotless and I think LeRoy was a big driver for keeping the house organized

In the morning, sitting quietly in a chair with a hot cup of coffee
  • I like mine pretty strong and I usually had to dial it back a bit for her when I made it.
  • You know Mom I’m a coffee snob and never really approved of the K-cups


She was a medical transcriptionist for years at Waukesha Memorial Hospital and could spell words like
Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia
P.s. this is the name of an ice cream headache

Last but surely not least---
Happiness found with LeRoy. Re-united once again in heaven... with our Lord Jesus Christ.

Reflection and contemplation are good things for us to engage in, especially in times like these. Losing your mother or anybody you love teaches us about our own life here on Earth. We ask ourselves what we could have done different; mainly looking at our shortcomings. But, we’re all human and fall short of the glory of God. Jesus said it.

My mom dying has helped me become a better person. I feel God’s will was done so he could draw me closer to Him. Acouple weeks ago I asked my mom if she believed in God and Jesus. She looked right at me and said yes. I believe there is a place called Heaven. I believe my mom is now in heaven.

What is heaven like? Here are some biblical facts about heaven. It is …

What the heck are we going to do when we get to heaven?

Here are five things that will occupy us in heaven. We will …
  • Worship without distraction.
  • Serve without exhaustion.
  • Fellowship without fear.
  • Learn without fatigue.
  • Rest without boredom.

My mom believed in Jesus and knew the only way to God and heaven was through Him. I believe her spirit and soul will live for eternity in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment